"If anyone would come after me. He must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me, for whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. Mathew 16:24-25

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Summit Personal Growth Notes


Three weeks ago I left my home to Summit Ministries and I had no idea what was in store for me. I plan to write another blog post talking about my time at Summit, what I learned, and how it changed me. For now I want to share with you just a few of the many notes I took during my time in Manitou Springs, CO. The lectures I sat in contained many different topics such as abortion, same sex marriage, different religions, creative, design, etc. For this post I would like to focus on personal discipleship and growth as well as resources at the end. I hope this is as beneficial to you as it is to me.
Personal Growth
  • Set low goals and build on them
  • What can you learn in 15 minutes? 30 minutes? 1 hour in a day?
  • Read the opposition so you can be educated and prepared to defend
  • Ponder your day at night
Set Goals: example          
  • Establish/join a support group in ____ (hometown)
  • Got involved with a ministry: _____
  • Eat at least once a week with someone/talk about life/God/direction in life
  • Less phone/TV/music                                      
  • No tech zone: table, car, bedroom
  • Practice virtue and sustain good habits: read biographies
Establish a morning/night routine                                                  
Prayer                          Day reflections
Bible reading/study    Prayer                                                                         
Non-fiction reading    Quiet time
Example         
Our worldview form our values
Our values form our actions
Our actions form who we are                                             
YOU CAN RULE OVER YOUR FANTASIES                             
5 ways to evaluate
  1. What are your loves? What are you habitually intimate with? (What do you share yourself with?)
  2. What are your longings? (Imagination aims you, Sets your trajectory) what do you habitually aim for?
  3. Where are my loyalties? (Commitments, what takes your time?) Our loyalties are rarely for people, they are for things.
  4. Where are my labors? (What do you work hard at in life?) 
  5. What are my liturgies (rhythms created in life) culture litergizes us: shopping, internet, etc. watch your habits.
  6. Ask parents to evaluate your answers.
You need a friend that will be brutally honest with you (faithful are the wounds of friends) Virtues train 1. Emotions 2. Habits 3. Chest (truth)
Cultivate our chests
  • Know what is true and good (read good books)
  • Practice what is good and true (if you want to be a good lifter, lift weights)
  • Practice repentance 1. It’s a moral workout 2. Get right with God
  • Create space for accountability – there’s no limit to human justification
Christian Calling
  1. What good around me can be celebrated, protected and preserved?
  2. What is missing around me that I can offer?
  3. What evil around me must stop?
  4. What is broken around me that I can restore?
What explains high performance: improvement, repetition, feedback, thoughtfulness, rigor
Mentoring Map
 
 
 
 
 
 
Seek Wise Counsel
  • What made the difference for you?
  • I’d like to hear the story of how you got into this vocational field
  • What are the most important lessons you’ve learned along the way?
  • If you had to do it over again, what would you do differently?
  • Who are the key leaders in that field that I should be paying attention to?
  • Who are some of the people who personally influenced you toward success?
  • What are 5 books you have found helpful in this field?
  • Are there any magazines or publications I need to be reading on a regular basis?
  • What would you say are the essential principles for success in this field?
  • Time and money aside, what would you rather be doing?
  • What are your goals at the present time?
  • How do you manage your time successfully?
  • Have you ever coached anyone else to be successful in this field?
  • What are some ways I could learn more about this field?
  • What are some obstacles along the way that I need to be aware of?
  • What questions have I not asked that I should be asking?
Web resources:
http://www.summit.org/
Jeff Myers blog: http://Www.summit.org/the-presidents-desk/

John stonestreet blog: http://Www.summit.org/blogs/the-point
College approval level: Thefire.org
Current events:
World magazine: www.worldmag.com
Human events: www.humanevents.org
Worldview/apologetics:
Stand to reason: http://www.str.org
Christianthought.hbu.edu  
Jamesryandobson.com  
Crossexamine.org
Defendingfreedom.org/university  
Abortion/traditional marriage:
Traditional marriage: Familyfacts.org
Ministries/Christianity:
American vision: Www.americanvision.com
Biblical worldview: Www.christianworldview.net
Christian answers: Www.christiananswers.net
Christian apologetics & research ministry: Www.carm.org
Christian research institute: www.equip.org (888)700-0274
Prove ministries: www.probe.org (800)899-7762
Teton apologetics ministries: www.tektonics.org
Logic/fallacies:
Fallacy files: www.fallacyfiles.org
Logical fallacies: www.logicalfallacies.info
Movie review:
Movieguide.org  
Kids-in-mind.com
Dove.org
Web browsing:
Xxxchurch.com
Covenanteyes.com

Of course, I recommend those that went to Summit to continue to look at their notebooks, especially the end notes for key points, quotes, and resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment